Sunday, September 9, 2007

Swing and a Miss


So here it goes, my first official "movie marketing" blog. I wasn't exactly sure how to start, so I just began by surfing the net and looking at some of the marketing campaigns and techniques that studios are using for their upcoming movies. As I read through the millions and millions of dollars that these corporations are spending to try and convince us to get off the couch and go to the theaters, I couldn't help but think about how some of these movies are sure to be humungous flops at the box office.

We've all seen them. We go to a movie, after watching the trailer, expecting it to be a phenominal showing. I remember when Catwoman came to theaters. I was so excited. I mean, come on, Halle Berry (one of my favoritest actresses) running around, kicking the crap out of bad guys. How could that possibley be a bad movie?

Well for those of you who have seen it, you know how the end of the story goes. A sad plot line and poor execution on everyones part, I wonder what was going through the minds of the movie studio execs when they threw this movie out to the general public. Warner Bros gave this movie a $100 million dollar marketing budget, only to have it generate a $40 million dollar revenue. You do the math, thats $60 million down the drain. It would have been smart for the studio to begin pulling it marketing campaign once they saw a rough draft of the movie. It wouldn't have taken a rocket scientist to get up and say "Um, I don't think we are going to make any money off from this".

And the list doesn't stop there. Who can forget movies like Battlefield: Earth or Evan Almighty. Movies studios think that so long as they slap a big time star in movies, it should automatically begin to sell at the box office. To bad their numbers don't confirm that.

For a list of more movies that have tried and failed, check this out.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_US_box_office_bombs

No comments: