Friday, September 14, 2007

And I Want All the World To See


Ok, so let me tell you flat out, I'm not a Beatles Fan. Never have, but I can't exactly say never will be. Last January I attended the OLD movie theater here in the beautiful town of Ithaca, NY. It was there that I saw the first preview for Across the Universe. Now I have to admit, I had seen the movie poster online, and thought "oh here we go, another ridiculous movie". But it wasn't until I began seeing more and more clips, did I actually become excited. The song "I've Just Seen A Face" has become my new favorite song. I was especially excited today, because after months and months of waiting for the films version of the song, it is finally available!

So why exactly did the movie take so long to come out? Well kiddies, here is where I am going to tie in my o-so-awesome movie marketing knowledge to explain the circumstances. Revolution Studios apparently did some things behind director Julie Taymor back that she didn't appreciate at all. Turns out the chief of Revolution Studios Joe Roth created a shorter version of the film and tested it out without letting Taymor know. When Taymor caught wind of this, she was furious, and who wouldn't be? It would have been a different story if they would have let her known, but instead the movie studio apparently felt they could generate more profits with a newer version, so they recut it the way THEY liked it. But what Revolution Studios forgot that although they might have funded it, it wasn't THERE movie. It's Julie Taymor's movie, and I agree with her getting so angry. I'm personally happy that in the end they decided to stick with the original version. I just wish it didn't take them all those months to do it.

In the end, I guess it's not a bad thing. The anticipation for this movie certainly has to have built tremendously. We have all seen the preview before the movies with Sonys "First Look" that they now offer ( Am I the only one who wishes they could find the guy who invented commercials before movies and tell him EXACTLY what I think of him?) This current spot has been running for months while Revolution Studios and Taymor have been trying to figure out what cut to run. I remember seeing the preview in January, not hearing about the movie for a while, and then seeing the First Look in May. I remember thinking to myself "Oh sweet, that movie again, but when is it coming out?". Well after 9 months of anticipation, all I have to say is that its about time.

I've attached the YouTube video of the song I love so much. I hope everyone likes it too!

2 comments:

Kim Gregson said...

10 points for hte week -

in the article about the music turned movie - where is the link to the news story - where did you get the info? how did you hear about the movie?

Swimman2464 said...

Hello Prof,

I put the think up for the article. Sorry bout that.