Friday, November 9, 2007

Read This Book!!!

This blog has no relation to movie marketing, but is well worth your time.

Last Friday I attended a Direct Marketing Seminar in NYC. I had never been to a seminar so I have nothing to compare it to, but I would highly recommend this one for anyone interested in the marketing field.

The speakers were great, but one in particular stood out. Lindsey Pollak, author of "Getting From College to Career", spoke to an audience of college students about seven tips we should follow to put us ahead of the game. I actually got a chance to talk with Lindsey after the conference, and I found her bubbly personality throughout her presentation was not a fake front, but actually who she was. She was extremely kind and helpful, and I felt like she was really listening to me.

I was so impressed with her speaking and personality, I immediately went home and purchased her book (18 copies of her book offered as door prizes and I didn't win one = lame). So it just came in the mail today and instead of studying for both my Consumer Behavior and Advertising tests I have next week, I decided to crack open the book.

The great thing about Lindsey's book is the fact that even after five pages, you have a sense that Lindsey actually gets who you are and where you are. I feel like my college is great about giving us the education, but when it comes time for us to head to the real world it kinda falls flat. This process leave someone like me, spending $40,000 a year on a college education thinking "What am I going to do, no one is going to hire me, I will be living with my parents, working in a restaurant, paying off my student loans for the rest of my life!".

It's easy to sit and listen to a professor tell you what you need to do because the whole time you're thinking "Yeah, but you have a great paying job now". Since Lindsey is younger and closer to our age, I feel like I can relate to what she says in her book a lot more and her ideas are fresh and new. Not only did she research a bunch for this book (so you know her tactics are legit) she was always placed in this same situation not to many years ago when she graduated from grad school.

I have never been one for self help books, in fact I have never even picked one up. I always felt like they didn't apply to me because of the fact that I wouldn't be able to relate to them. Well, have no fear, this book does. So, anyone reading this, I highly recommend either checking out her website, or purchasing her book. It's a quick and easy read full of 90 tips to help you on you way to getting a job. If you do at least ten of these tips, you're already a lot farther ahead then most of the competition in your field.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amiable fill someone in on and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you as your information.